Vivint Authorized Retailer Jonesboro
Smart Security Specialists -- Your Vivint Authorized Dealer Covering Jonesboro & Northeast Arkansas

Common causes of residential fires in Jonesboro and how to prevent them

September 25, 2023
Man surprised by smoke pouring out of oven

There are many perils you have to keep in mind as a property owner. Fire is at the top of the list, as it can arise in any place and anytime. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated an incredible $8.9 billion in property damage throughout the United States because of residential fires in 2021. Also during this year, there were over 350,000 documented fires. Luckily, there are actions you can take to prevent them. Investigate the causes and how to prevent house fires in Jonesboro.

What causes residential fires in Jonesboro?

Fires can start in any spot and without warning, whether ignited by a smoldering cigarette in a waste container or an ignored stovetop. Here are the most common causes of residential fires.

  • Cooking: Kitchen flare-ups are the most frequent sorts of residential fires in Jonesboro and everywhere else. Neglected stovetops are the chief cause, so always keep an eye on that hot skillet when cooking. It’s also important to note that putting water on a grease fire will only make matters worse.
  • Heating: Space heaters are well known for causing residential fires. Running them for lengthy periods may result in internal parts wearing down and igniting. Damaged cords and placing heaters by combustible materials like bed sheets or curtains may also lead to disastrous results. Other types of heating, such as furnaces and fireplaces, may cause fires and need to be checked frequently.
  • Electrical: Outdated wiring, faulty outlets, and overloaded extension cords are several of the ways electrical issues result in fires. If you notice flickering lights, sparking from an outlet, or odd odors, get it investigated promptly.
  • Candles: Whenever there's a flame, there's the potential for fire. Residential fires from candles are still commonplace and typically result from carelessness. Placing them within reach of pets or next to flammable materials will often produce disastrous results.
  • Smoking: Despite the overall decrease in smoking nationwide, it’s still an unquestionable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated that 7,800 residential fires were a result of smoking in 2021. Falling asleep with a cigarette still burning or prematurely discarding smoldering ashes can cause catastrophic results.

The most effective way to prevent house fires in Jonesboro is to eliminate careless behavior. Always keep an eye on things when cooking, never leave a candle burning unattended, and properly dispose of cigarettes. If you must use a space heater, do so infrequently and use one that offers an automatic shut-off feature in the event it is knocked over.

Get help quickly with a monitored fire alarm in Jonesboro

You need to have smoke detectors on all floors and consider using more next to bedrooms. But you can take your safety a step further with a monitored fire alarm. These modern safety components will not only discern smoke but can also be tripped due to extreme heat. Additionally, because they are part of your modern smart home, they’ll warn you and your monitoring representatives whenever an emergency occurs. This is a worthwhile benefit, particularly when you’re not home to hear the alarm and call the fire department.

Safeguard your home against various threats with a Vivint smart home in Jonesboro

Elevate the safety of your residence today with a Vivint smart home. You may personalize our systems with monitored fire alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, and water sensors. You’ll appreciate the instant updates to your cell phone and the reassurance that comes with professional monitoring. Dial (870) 568-4128 to get started.